torsdag 10 juli 2014

Mabel pencil skirt

I'm on my last week of work before a luxurious five-week summer vacation. Summer is at its peak here in Scandinavia and it's nice to feel effortlessly relaxed while still slightly dressed up for work. 

I have just finished the Mabel knit skirt from Colette patterns, and it has been the perfect thing to wear to work in this weather.  


I sewed my Mabel in a charcoal-gray cotton-viscose sweatshirt-type knit fabric. I originally bought it to make a skirt for my daughter, but then found out that I could use another skirt in my summer wardrobe. Fortunately I had bought just enough for this pattern. 


I made the pencil-skirt length as I don't think I would feel comfortable wearing the short version except at the beach. I measured between sizes M and L, so I traced right between the sizes. When I first tried on the skirt before attaching the waist band, it looked way too small at the hips . I'm pear-shaped so pencil skirts are not the most flattering even though I love the look. 

Luckily, when the waist band was attached and the hem sewn, suddenly the proportions all seemed to line up nicely. Right now, I absolutely love the skirt, I'll wear it to the beach during my vacation and it fits perfectly as workwear in my fairly casual office. 


I originally envisioned it worn with tank tops at the beach, but it works with a variety of tops. Yesterday I wore a black cotton voile shirt blouse, and today with this viscose knit top that I made last year using an Ottobre design 2/2013 pattern. 



I'm quite certain there will be more Mabel skirts coming up!



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar